As many of you in the special needs blogging world probably already know, Kate of Chasing Rainbows lost her son Gavin last week. Gavin was a true superhero who inspired so many. In my opinion, Kate is also a superhero. Her words have moved thousands of readers and she so eloquently and freely shares her story with the world.
Kate was kind enough to participate in my Parent's Perspective feature last fall where she shared her thoughts on therapy and raising a child with special needs. Kate went to the ends of the earth to provide for Gavin, and ultimately he was taken from her too soon. As she goes through this heartbreaking time, many are wondering what they can do to help.
Here's are some things you can do to honor Gavin:
- Stop by Kate's blog or Facebook page and offer kind words of support.
- Donate to the Nemours Child Life Department. The Child Life Specialists have played a huge role during all of Gavin's hospitalizations and Gavin's family would appreciate donations to the Child Life Department in lieu of flowers. In addition to monetary donations, you can view a list of items that the Child Life Department is in need of.
- Consider registering to be an organ donor. (You can read the story of Gavin's organ donation here)
- Donate to the Gift of Life Family House, which provides a "home away from home" for transplant patients and their families who travel to Philadelphia for transplant related care.
- Donate to CaringBridge, the site where Kate began her daily journals when Gavin was just an infant.
- And finally, Kate's birthday request: Honor Gavin by helping someone. Document it in words or pictures and share on the Chasing Rainbows Facebook page.
Gavin, you are a true superhero! You've inspired countless families all over the world and your memory will carry on. Kate, thank you for opening your heart and sharing your story with the world. Gavin and his beautiful smile will not be forgotten.