Wednesday, July 25, 2012

A Parent's Perspective - We Can Do All Things

Today we have Sandra, from We Can Do All Things, joining us to share a peek into her life with her adorable daughter, Adeline, who has Down syndrome.

Our life in five words:

Life in our home is busy. We are a homeschool family, so our house is always filled with activity. Since Adeline has joined our family, I believe she has taught us even more about joy, hope, and anticipation for the future.

Four qualities I look for in a therapist:

  1. Understands Down syndrome.
  2. Works well with children.
  3. Is willing to involve me in the therapy process and share information with me.
  4. Will respect my child as a person, not a diagnosis.

Three resources I can't live without:

Adeline's books
Brillkids Little Readers
A yoga ball

Two words (or more!) of advice for a therapist working with a child with Down syndrome:

  1. Learn as much new research as possible.
  2. While it is important to understand Down syndrome, my daughter is an individual. Every child with Down syndrome learns and progresses differently.
  3. Please have fun with my little girl. While her treatment is important to me, I also want her to enjoy her therapy time.
  4. Please respect the decisions of the family. Sometimes a family may make a different decision than what you feel is best.
  5. Please use people first language.

 

A word of advice for the parents of a child newly diagnosed with Down syndrome:

 

Enjoy your baby. There is so much information given to parents with a baby diagnosed with Down syndrome that it can be overwhelming. Take time to enjoy your baby as the sweet baby boy or girl that he or she is.
Find a network of support where you can ask questions of those who have been on this journey for awhile. Some can find this through a local Down syndrome group. For me, I found this in the Babycenter Down syndrome group.
Your future is bright! In the beginning it can feel overwhelming, but today people with Down syndrome are doing things that they have never done before.

One dream for my child:

To go to college and earn a degree.

And finally, what I do to rest and recharge:

I find friends that I can share with and are willing to listen to me.


Thank you so much, Sandra, for sharing your perspective, words of inspiration, and fantastic resources! Sandra did not mention that she also makes adorable clothes for children with Down syndrome. Be sure to visit Sandra and Adeline at www.wecandoallthings.blogspot.com to learn more about Down syndrome, visit Sandra's shop, and to check out all of Sandra's great homeschooling activities!

1 comment:

You might also enjoy: