Friday, September 21, 2012

Five Friday Features

  1. I've been busy adding to my Amazon store in preparation for the holidays. I know it's only September, but the holidays will be here before we know it and I'm always asked for recommendations for gifts for children. Anytime you click through to Amazon from my blog and then make a purchase while you're there, I receive a very small commission, which I am dedicated to using to help others. So far I have used the money I have received to support Shasta's Kickstarter Campaign and to participate in the virtual Bravery Run. Like I said, I receive only a very small commission, but every little bit does help.
  2. This week I discovered the blog, Your Kid's Table. Written by an OT and mother to two kids under three, Alisha Grogan. In Your Kid's Table, Alisha shares the strategies she uses both at home and at work, to help parents improve their children's eating and feeding skills. This is a great resource!
  3. I also discovered Beyond Basic Play, a blog written by a pediatric physical therapist, Natalie. Beyond Basic Play is where Natalie shares news, tips, and resources relevant to pediatric physical therapy, including her Tips and Tricks Tuesday. Be sure to check it out!
  4. Julian Treasure gave a thought provoking TED Talk called Why Architects Need to Use Their Ears. In this talk he discusses how the noise level of buildings, offices, classrooms, hospitals and even cities, are affecting our health and well-being. He is especially committed to changing the way classrooms are designed to make better learning environments. This talk made me think of the students I work with, many of which are sensitive to noises and may have auditory processing delays. Wouldn't it be great if classrooms were universally designed to make it easier for everyone to hear and learn? Read more about his tips for designing classrooms that are kind on the ears on the Ted Blog.
  5. The FDA has updated their warning on the use of Simply Thick with infants. The previous warning related only to infants born before 37 weeks gestation, and now the FDA is recommending no use of Simply Thick with any infants, due to a possible increase in necrotizing enterocolitis (NEC). Please visit the FDA website for more information.

Happy first weekend of autumn!
 



No comments:

Post a Comment

You might also enjoy: