Wednesday, March 21, 2012

How to make a slant board


A slant board provides a slanted writing surface, which can better position a student's wrist for writing. Placing writing paper on a slant board can also make it easier for the student to copy information from the board.

The price of a slant board can vary from $40-$100 in a therapy catalog, so I often make my own.

I have a student who was hooking his wrist like this (yikes!):

I made a slant board to improve the position of his wrist and now he writes like this:
     Much better!


To make your own, here's what you'll need:
 
  • two old binders
  • clipboard
  • Velcro
  • duct tape







1. Use the duct tape to tape the two binders together.

2. Attach Velcro to the back of the clipboard.
3. Attach the clipboard to the binders
vertically,













or horizontally.





7 comments:

  1. Wow thank you so much for your creative ideas. Another great tip to improve health and save money from having to go out and purchase one. God Bless your Spirit!
    -Sherise

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know this is an older post but I just wanted to say "Thank you". You just saved me a ton of money. My son's PT recommended a slant board for him but they are super expensive. I just happened to stumble upon this post and was able to make my own in about 5 minutes for only $3. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're very welcome! Slant boards can be SO expensive. I'm glad you were able to make one yourself. I hope it helps your son!

      Delete
  3. This looks like it will work great for my son whose OT recommended a slant board to improve his writing. One question- what size binders would you recommend to get this angle? Are these 2 inch or 3 inch binders.
    Many thanks for sharing a suggestion to reduce costs to families that have many therapy related expenses.
    Beth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used 3" binders when I made this slant board. You can check with your child's OT for a recommendation if you're not sure what size to use. Good luck!

      Delete
  4. This an awesome post. Thankyou sooooo much. Slope boards in Canberra are soooo expensive and my son is at 2 different schools atm too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for this! I need one for one of my daughters for school and the school doesn't have any they can provide for her. I will give this a shot and see if it works for her. The only thing I'm missing right now is the clipboard!

    ReplyDelete

You might also enjoy: