This is one of those apps that is an OTs dream! Visual Attention TherAppy is designed to practice visual scanning from left to right, which is a great pre-reading skill. This app has ten different levels, which provides numerous scanning activities. In addition, the font size is customizable and the number of lines can be customized, too! Check it out:
What I like about this app:
- Results can be emailed, which makes for quick and easy data collection and progress monitoring
- Font size is customizable
- Number of lines is customizable, allowing 24-228 targets per screen
- Can program the app to have a line on either the left or right side to encourage scanning all the way to the edge. Especially helpful for those with a visual neglect.
- Ten levels provide a seemingly never-ending variety of scanning tasks
- Can choose similar or dissimilar targets and can choose one or two targets
- Test mode allows targets to be tapped in any order, indicating if there is a particular area that is being neglected when scanning
- Practice mode only allows left to right scanning. This is the mode I typically use.
How I use this app in therapy:In addition to using this app in the traditional sense, I like to print out screenshots to make a paper-pencil scanning task. This is great because I can get in some pencil grip practice or I can hang the paper on a wall to practice writing on a vertical surface.
Name of App: Visual Attention TherAppy
Publisher: Tactus Therapy Solutions
Compatible with: iPad; requires iOS 4.3 or later.
Price: $9.99 for full version; lite version (access to one level and one size) is free
*Information was correct at the time of publication, but is subject to change, so please confirm prior to downloading. This post contains affiliate links.
Have you used this app? What are your favorite apps for visual scanning?