Friday, October 7, 2011

The Misunderstood Child

The Misunderstood Child
A poem about children with hidden disabilities
by Kathy Winters

I am the child that looks healthy and fine. I was born with ten fingers and toes. But something is different, somewhere in my mind, And what it is, nobody knows.

I am the child that struggles in school, Though they say that I'm perfectly smart. They tell me I'm lazy -- can learn if I try -- But I don't seem to know where to start. 

I am the child that won't wear the clothes Which hurt me or bother my feet. I dread sudden noises, can't handle most smells, And tastes -- there are few foods I'll eat.

I am the child that can't catch the ball And runs with an awkward gait. I am the one chosen last on the team And I cringe as I stand there and wait.

I am the child with whom no one will play -- The one that gets bullied and teased. I try to fit in and I want to be liked, But nothing I do seems to please. 

I am the child that tantrums and freaks Over things that seem petty and trite. You'll never know how I panic inside, When I'm lost in my anger and fright.

I am the child that fidgets and squirms Though I'm told to sit still and be good. Do you think that I choose to be out of control? Don't you know that I would if I could?

I am the child with the broken heart Though I act like I don't really care. Perhaps there's a reason God made me this way -- Some message he sent me to share.

For I am the child that needs to be loved And accepted and valued too. I am the child that is misunderstood. I am different - but look just like you.



***Thank you to Kathy Winters for allowing me to reprint her poem

2 comments:

  1. great poem! I'm in my 2nd year of OT school and we just learned about Sensory Integration and Sensory Processing Disorder. Had no idea there was a National Sensory Awareness Month!

    -Jessica
    http://soontobeot.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jessica, I'm glad you enjoyed the poem. When I came across it, I just knew I had to share it. It provides such a great description of life with sensory processing disorder. I plan to post more about sensory processing throughout the month, so please check back!

    ReplyDelete

You might also enjoy: