- Did you know that October is Sensory Awareness Month? Visit Simply Stavish to read my guest post: What Every Parent Should Know About Sensory Processing Disorder. Be sure to poke around Mindi's blog while you are there. She has tons of great content about speech and language!
- Handwriting Without Tears is offering a free online seminar on Tuesday, October 30 from 8-9PM EST. The seminar, Top 10 Questions About Handwriting, is sure to be full of useful information about handwriting education. I've watched Handwriting Without Tears seminars in the past and I'm always impressed with the organization and content. In my opinion, they are especially useful for new practitioners, parents and teachers.
- Do you use tongs and chopsticks all of the time to work on fine motor skills? MamaOT had a great tutorial on how to make kiddie chopsticks. Check it out! These chopsticks are easier to use than traditional chopsticks and are a great way to develop fine motor skills. (And she had a great follow up for 50 fun ways to play with tongs)
- OT research in the news!!! Occupational therapy researchers from NYU found that classroom yoga helps improve behavior of kids with autism.
- Didn't win the shoelaces? Don't despair! I have another giveaway. This one is from Educational Insights. Educational Insights manufactures educational toys and hands-on learning materials. And they've been kind enough to sponsor a $50 giveaway! Click here to find out what you have to do to enter. (Hint: it's really easy!)
Friday, October 19, 2012
Five Friday Features
And the Easy Tie Shoelace winners are...Lisa and "just me". Please email me with your mailing address and I will get your shoelaces in the mail!