Features of Easy Tie laces include:
- Dual colored laces remove lace confusion
- Dual textures aid in tying
- Smaller laces for smaller hands
- Stiffer laces don't flop
- Lace material and texture provides a secure tie
- Laces always stay even in length
- Fun colors!
Shoe tying is a skill that is generally mastered by age seven. But we know all children are different, so your child may be ready before age seven, or your child may need a little more time. Below are some tips for teaching your child to tie shoes.
Tips for teaching shoe tying to your child:
- Practice lacing or making friendship bracelets prior to teaching shoe tying.
- Use two different colored laces (like Easy Tie laces!)
- Find a time to practice when you are not rushing out the door.
- Use a rhyme to break it down into steps, such as the bunny ears rhyme.
- Sit next to or beside your child when modeling the steps for shoe tying, so they don't have to try to mirror your movements.
- Use backward chaining. This means complete all of the steps, except the very last step, for your child. Then teach your child to do the last step. After he has mastered the last step, teach him the last two steps together. Continue this until he is able to complete all of the steps of shoe tying.
- Repetition, repetition, repetition. As with all motor tasks, learning to tie shoes takes practice, which means your child will require lots of repetition to master shoe tying. Be persistent, but patient. Practicing a few minutes per day will eventually get you the desired results - independent shoe tying!
- Use a shoelace board, such as the one below to practice tying before trying on a real shoe. The child can place this board on his or her lap and practice at the correct angle to the laces.
Wondering how I made that shoelace board? It's really simple! Visit Caroline at Salsa Pie for her DIY Shoe Tie Practice Board.
Now for the giveaway!!! Two lucky readers will receive a pair of Easy Tie laces. All you have to do is leave a comment below telling me how you would use these laces (e.g. with your child, in your therapy clinic, etc). Winners will be chosen at random and I will do my best to get your preferred colored laces to you. Contest is open to US residents only. Contest is open until 11:59 PM EST on Wednesday, October 17, 2012. Winners will be announced on Friday, October 19, 2012 on my Five Friday Features. Good luck!
Disclaimer: Easy Tie laces were provided free of charge for this giveaway. All writing and opinions are my own.