Friday, July 27, 2012

In my therapy bag...checkers

Checkers can be used for many activities other than grasping (stacking, counting, sorting), but I'm going to show you how I use them to work on grasping with little ones with visual impairment. Remember, checkers are small enough to be a choking hazard, so use close supervision at all times!

I have these great wooden checkers that are high contrast. Sorry, I don't remember where I got them!
When placed in my hand, the black checker provides a high contrast against my skin, making it easier for a child with a visual impairment to see. The texture on the checker is fun too!

You can also place the black checker on a light colored surface, or place the light checkers on a dark surface.


What do you use to provide high contrast when encouraging infants and toddlers with visual impairment to reach and grasp?


No comments:

Post a Comment

You might also enjoy: