Monday, July 9, 2012

Where can I find an OT for my child?

A reader recently asked me this question, so I thought I'd share with all of you some resources for locating an OT for your child.

  • If your child is under the age of three, check into your state's early intervention program. Click here for a list of Early Intervention Contacts by state.
  • Call the rehabilitation department your local hospital or children's hospital. They may have, or be able to recommend pediatric occupational therapists in your area.
  • Contact your local school district and ask to speak to the director of special education or an occupational therapist on staff. Even if your child doesn't qualify for OT through the school district, they may be able to recommend a local clinic setting that provides occupational therapy.
  • Check with your state's OT association  for recommendations in your area (try googling "[enter the name of your state] occupational therapy association". This should lead you to your state's OT association website.
  • Contact your local Easter Seals.
  • Contact a local college or university that has an occupational therapy program. They may have a clinic on campus or be able to recommend a local pediatric OT. For a list of schools that have occupational therapy programs, click here.

To learn more about what OT is and how it can help your child, please visit the AOTA (American Occupational Therapy Association) website at

Parents, how did you find an occupational therapist for your child?
Therapists, what other resources do you know of for parents to locate an occupational therapist for their child?

No comments:

Post a Comment

You might also enjoy: